Email sent to Wiley journal
Good day Wiley staff, I would like to point out inaccurate content in a journal article.
Journal: Acta Paediatrica
Article: Penile size in healthy Nigerian newborns: country-based reference values and international comparisons (DOI: 10.1111/apa.12517)
Inaccurate content: “The mean penile length in this study, the first in an African population, is similar to lengths reported for Caucasian boys in the USA, smaller than lengths of Indian and Malaysian boys and significantly larger than those of Hong Kong and Chinese boys (Table 4).”
- With respect to table 4 (attached), “Chinese” and “Caucasians” are not and have never been countries.
- The reference for Hong Kong and “Chinese” is the same (Ref. 17) which should not be.
- The first author of reference 17 is “Fok” not “Fork”
- Reference 17 only pertains to Hong Kong and not “Chinese” thus the reference for “Chinese” is incorrect.
- The 3.1 cm value for “Chinese” is from reference 14. Additionally, the N for the “Chinese” (from reference 14) is 40 and not 129.
- The N of 129 for “Chinese” is from reference 16.
- The data for “Caucasians” pertains to Canada, not the US.
- The N for “Caucasians” is too small to have been used.
- The N for India is too small to have been used.
- Confounding data for Chinese from reference 16 was not used which would seem to indicate a racial bias on the part of the authors.
- Reference 16 contains references to studies of Saudis and Indians (from India) yet were not used.
- References 21 and 22 are listed but not cited in the paper.
14. Cheng PS, Chanoine JP. Should the definition of micropenis vary according to ethnicity? Horm Res 2001; 55: 278–81.
16. Ting TH, Wu LL. Penile length of term newborn infants in multiracial Malaysia. Singapore Med J 2009; 50: 817.
17. Fork TF, Hon KL, So HK, Wong E, Ng PC, Chang A, et al. Normative data of penile lengths for term Chinese newborn. Biol Neonate 2005; 87: 242–5.
21. Sutan-Assin M, Rukman J, Dahlan A. Penile dimensions of newborn infants. Paediatr Indones 1989; 29: 146–50.
22. Gabrich PN, Vasconcelos JS, Damiao R, Silva EA. Penile anthropometry in Brazilian children and adolescents. J Paediatr (Rio J) 2007; 83: 441–6.
UPDATE 2017-09-19: Wiley has stated that the authors (and not the journal editors) have decided that an erratum is not required.