GROUPS: East Asians, South Asians, Hollywood power players, MANAA.
Host Jani Wang interviews the head and co-founder of the Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA), Guy Aoki, at the East West Players 45th Annual Visionary Awards, held at the Universal Hilton, on Monday, May 2nd, 2011
Guy Aoki of Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) meets with the 4 big American studios: ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. He states that MANAA meets with the president and vice-president of the networks (i.e. the heads of casting, comedy, drama and reality shows). The take home points of the above video are:
- ‘Asians Americans’ are given sidekick roles in Hollywood even though they economically represent the 6th largest US state;
- Those in positions of power perpetuate the notion of a “white” world because they do not interact with Africans, Asians (East and South) and Latinos;
- These said individuals do not want to listen to the economic logic of casting more ‘Asian Americans’;
- Aoki and MANAA will give Hollywood network executives 2-3 years to have at LEAST one TV serial where the MAIN STAR is ‘Asian American’; and
- Aoki and MANAA have been lobbying unsuccessfully for 11 years.
One wonders just what will happen in 2013-2014 when MANAA stops pleading with Hollywood bigwigs? Since economic logic doesn’t work and you cannot use the law to coerce big bad Hollywood, only organized mass-scale protestation remains. Will that work? Not likely. But how would actual mass protests work? If present trends continue, here is how this might play out:
- MANNA tries to organize a boycott of all productions of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC;
- MANAA tries to get partners from other stereotyped groups, support minimal and noncommittal;
- MANAA fails to win even a tenth of support from US ‘Asians’ most of whom don’t care about racism, they just ‘want to be accepted’;
- The big 4 networks label MANAA and US ‘Asians’ as “angry” to revive the Angry (East) Asian Male stereotype (see nomenclature);
- MANNA is accused of trying to hurt US economic activity and being sectarian. Since the US economy is in a depression, the studios garner popular support by making MANNA and US ‘Asians’ out to be unpatriotic (the perpetual foreigner stereotype);
- Some unknown Hollywood power player “leaks” an opinion to the popular press (which is controlled by Hollywood’s co-economic, co-racial and co-liberal ethnics) that MANNA and US ‘Asians’ are actually working in cahoots with those dictatorial Chinese communists to undermine the ailing US economy so that they could invade via Mexico! (the yellow peril stereotype);
- Anti-‘Asian’ racist incidents including assaults increase exponentially;
- MANAA fails, gives up; and
- Hollywood continues as usual.
DYNAMICS: Don’t waste 11-14 years pleading with Hollywood racists, they don’t see you so-called minorities as fully human anyway. If you want to be effective, you have no choice (in this case) but to launch an all out smear campaign. Stop being a model minority, playing by their rules and consistently failing. Make your own rules and make them play by it.